Transferring out of BU
You must notify the International Office before you transfer to another school in the U.S. To request a transfer of your SEVIS record, you must submit a copy of the acceptance letter and the SEVIS Transfer Release Form to the International Office by the end of your last term at BU.
Keep Your Passport Valid
You must keep your passport valid at all times.
Travel Authorization for Re-Entry
If you plan to depart the U.S. temporarily and return to continue your studies at BU, you must obtain a travel authorization on your I-20 prior to your departure. If you do not have the proper authorization, you will receive difficulty at the Port of Entry.
Report Change of Address
You must report any change of address, i.e., your actual physical residence, within ten (10) days of the change by notifying our International Office.
- F-1 Students who have completed their studies or completed their Optional Practical Training period have 60 days to prepare to leave the U.S., transfer out to another US school.
- F-1 Students who drop out of school or withdraw and have prior approval from the International Office have 15 days to prepare to leave the U.S.
- F-1 Students who drop out of school or withdraw WITHOUT prior the International Office approval must leave the U.S. immediately.
BU Health Insurance Policy
- In the U.S., individuals are responsible for paying for any health care they receive, a notable difference from the perspective of other countries. Therefore, it is essential that anyone spending time in the United States purchase health insurance.
- Health insurance coverage is a condition of enrollment at BU. Should you fail to purchase health insurance, a registration hold will be placed on your records. International students will not be able to register for classes until the International Office has received verification that you have purchased the mandatory health insurance.
- BU recommends ISO International Students Health insurance for both our students and their independents. For more information on ISO Health Insurance, please visit https://www.isoa.org/ or pick up a flier at our front desk. You can also visit BETINS to shop for attractive options.